Sunday, December 28, 2008

The most unlikely knitter of all

It has been a while since I last wrote. I guess I feel like I haven't had anything worthy of writing about, until now. I wish I had a picture to go with this post because some of you may not believe what I am about to tell you without proof.

So, we spent Christmas Eve with Mese's family and we were up pretty late. We came home and put the kids to bed and then stayed up even later setting up the toys we had bought for them. Marlowe, despite going to bed late, woke us up at six, as usual. We were very tired. We went to my parents to spend most of Christmas day with my family. We did the usual routine of eating a big breakfast while all the kids played with what Santa Claus brought and then we all opened gifts from eachother. It was a great day. We all loved all our gifts and just spending time with eachother and sharing memories of Christmases in the past. The day was kind of winding down. My kids were very tired. They needed their nap and so did we. All the men in the family decided to go to a movie. My husband was the only one who decided not to go. He said it would be a waste of money because he would just fall asleep in the theater. He stayed home with all us girls. I was sure he was going to want to get going soon. We usually go back to his family's house around 5 p.m. We had talked about leaving soon so I went to go say goodbye to my sisters. I got caught up talking to them for a while and I was wondering why Mese hadn't come to get me going. I went to go see what he was doing and you can imagine my shock, amazement, and my delight when I found him sitting with my sister, Julia, and my nieces, KNITTING.

He has never knit before. Julia, as a gift to all the nieces, decided to teach them how to knit. I guess Mese grabbed the needles and yarn and pretended he was knitting just to be funny and then Julia started to teach him how to do it for real. He sat there and knitted for a while and then took a break. We all sat around visiting some more. So, he picked up the yarn and needles and decided to keep going. This time he didn't stop for an hour and a half. I'm not kidding. All of us girls just kept visiting, but every fifteen minutes or so one of us would stop and say, discretely, "look, he is still knitting!" We were amazed. I have to say that I found it very cute and sexy. My husband is so confident in his manhood that he can knit and not be ashamed. Well, he may have been a little ashamed because the next day when we went to Wal-Mart to buy him his own needles and yarn he kept claiming they were for me any time some one would walk by. We did buy some for me too and that night he taught me how to knit. It is really cool. I have always wanted to learn to knit, but I never thought that the person who would teach me would be my husband. I love it, though. We just sit there and knit together.

He never ceases to amaze me. Some day you'll hopefully get to see the scarfs we are making or even witness the knitting in action. I love you, Mese.

6 comments:

Sam, Melissa, and Kayla said...

that's awesome!

ME ;) said...

Haha if anyone told me that my cousin Mese would be knitting I would not have believed them but I guess it might be more common then we think. ;) Mason taught me how to use the sewing machine a few years ago when we had to hem some last minute things right before a luau. These men...so domestic!!

Barb's blessings said...

Thought you would like to know that Rosie Greer (famous football star), Russell Crowe and Brad Pitt all knit. Here is a website called "Men Who Knit." http://www.menwhoknit.com/community/ It's actually a very relaxing hobby. But I found it hard to make anything usable except scarves and baby blankets. But being LDS, knowing how to make baby blankets can come in handy. Mese -- you the man. Luv ya!

Vivian Campbell said...

awesome you guys have to show me!

Pattersons said...

too cool! i think that's a wonderful gift that julia gave to the girls...and mese too:)by the way, is sila too young to learn?

{Erica} said...

this is such a late comment since it's a month after you posted but i figure now that we've actually talked and "hung out" now I can post on your blog with out you thinking I was phsycho! :)

I think it's dead sexy that a man liked knitting! SWEET!


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones