Monday, October 13, 2008

The New Nursery Leaders

As of three weeks ago Mese and I are the new nursery leaders for the senior nursery in the Banning ward. I know to some it may seem like the worst calling in the world and, I admit, for a few moments I had some hesitation. We were called the same week that our son, Mason, turned 18 months. I had been waiting for that week to come for about four months. I just wanted to be able to get some spiritual uplifting out of sunday school and relief society again. But, not much to my surprise, I have been spiritually uplifted so much more than I ever expected to be in the last two weeks that we have been with these beautiful children. I love being with them. Just their smiles seem to make my heart burst. It's nice for me to see that they are enjoying what we are doing. I feel successful. The little lessons are so simple and basic, but that almost makes them that much more powerful. I kinda wish it could all be that simple.
I love working with my husband. It helps me to see him in a whole new light to see him get down on these kid's level and play with and love them. Of course, I get to see him do it at home with our kids all the time, but there's just something so touching to see it with kids other than his own. I'm not surprised, just reminded how wonderful he is and why I love him so much. He is so excited to learn the songs that go along with each lesson on his guitar and to play and sing them each week. The kids looooove it.
I love our new calling. I love serving and teaching and being taught by your kids each week. They are such a joy. I see even more clearly now why Jesus said we should "become as a little child."

10 comments:

Vivian Campbell said...

wow! I'm glad you're enjoying your calling. the way you express your feelings towards it makes me want to be in there with you guys:)keep up the ggod work, and i wish i could be in there to hear the songs!

Jayme said...

thank goodness for people like you and Mese! I hope Shelby doesn't give you a run for your money :)

Gabriela Hull said...

How fun that he brings his guitar! I 'm glad you are enjoying your calling.

Pattersons said...

i'm glad you're enjoying your calling too! it's funny how you think sometimes how things will be and then you get pleasantly surprised:) it's a blessing for those children to have you and mese in there to teach them and help them with their first experience with primary and the church-what a blessing! and thanks guys:)

ME ;) said...

How cute!! I wanna come to nursery! Ha ha I'm within the age limit right? ;) LOL.

johanna said...

Thank you for doing such a wonderful job with Ian. He loves having both of you as his nursery leaders. I love that you get to be in there as a couple...how nice.

Andy and Yolanda said...

How fun:) Andy and I were just called to the nursery. We both were a little unsure about the new calling but you're right once you get in there and see those sweet spirits and cute smiles it's hard not to love it:)We still need to have you and your family over for dinner, soon....

alise said...

This was absolutely my favorite calling. Nate and I were nursery leaders when we lived in Corona, it was so fun being in there together. You guys are perfect!!!! The kids get sick of the same ol' routine. How fun that Mese plays some music. Way to use that talent! I bet the kids LOVE you guys.Take care!!

alise said...

BTW. The gospel IS that simple. Why do we complicate it so much???? You guys are lucky to be in there :)

Lynn said...

I can't wait to have Miles come to your nursery. It sounds awesome! You two would be awesome at this calling anyway, but the guitar is genius!


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones